Friday, July 25, 2008

stops, temps, stagnates

In the dark north winter
hits like a missile - It
forges roads for the mind. It
stops, temps, stagnates and
bores a hole. The hole is you.

"I think we've had more rain than Seattle. Do you think we've had more rain than Seattle?"
"Maybe. Probably." I looked through the old glass and watched it fall on asphalt and the scattered rooftops and scattered vehicles. To my right JL focused. I stared, he glanced up from his task. I look back to my task. Then everyone swarmed & I was glad for it because my task was tedious. "Daniel. Daniel, can you make sure I'm scanning these properly?"
"Yes. Now?"
"No, not now, whenever you're ready." It's an old machine, too old, I thought.
"Let's see." I went to address the concern.
The pages of scattered, printed information pitted my desk to a point where I had to clear a space. My notes on various pads - yellow lined, small white lines, folded back, dog eared. I rarely, if ever, review them or reveal them after writing them down. instead, that process is recorded in the moist skull folds. All else be damned. It's uncanny how they build.
"I've got it. I've got it," M says from behind her own similar pile. I barely budge.
"Good." She knew I was unhappy. She knew the situation - I was feeling used unhappy with tedious work I didn't sign up for. Each task an act of doing and undoing until it balanced on the page - boring, full of waste. My art waited like an expanding balloon, waiting to pop. Man, Woman, Child, Beast - the next piece stared at me madly, tickled my liver. I thought of it constantly when I looked at Jules, her eye now physically protruding from the tumor's pressure.
"Breathe. Breathe in the air babe."
"Just squeeze harder." I was fucking her and squeezing her skull to relieve the pressure.
"Oh, my god."
"Get it darlin'," I added as she came close to climax. Our pheromones matched so I stayed hard for hours and she just worked at it, the pills and pain delaying climax. Six to fifteen minutes is enough, get it. But this would inevitably turn to an hour or two or three, broken condoms scattering the wooden floors. Useless, all of it a risk. I finished and get up to check the weather and the total rainfall. Water is one thing we don't worry about here. The water brings the cold so I left the office for our night of drinks underdressed.
I watched the fire light the bone - chemicals delivered. "Where we heading?"
"High Falls. Is it far?"
"No. You could walk there." I delivered the path. We rambled on, out over the bridge, back again, beers, conversation, talk, silence, the tasks ahead weighing on.

No comments: