Thursday, June 5, 2008

axis, set list

“The Pleasure of My Axis Is You”
media: computer, projector, 2 screens 1 lcd and 1 for projection, table, speakers, electricity, mirror of equal size to projection (optional), you
2008

I often have found myself and my other speaking through text messages in short electronic bursts across physical and virtual space. The rhythm and cadence of our texts imply an emotional connection which I believed could be deciphered in their structure. I then simply removed myself and my other from the communication to see if the two machines could learn that cadence, find the appropriate words, and fall in love. Since the machines don’t have an emotional capacity they found “the pleasure of my axis is you” a phrase to subjugate the emotionally rich, “I love you.” With each attempt to complete this impossible task they trip the Universal Film Leader adorned in the Red and Violet of Love and Loyalty as a symbolic beginning built within a technological tradition.

This piece is a recorded attempt between two common machines to find love.

»‡«

“Artificial Standing Box”
media: 15 minute short film, vertical lcd screen, computer, speakers, constructed stand, music, electricity
2008

I envision this box as both my equal and my burden. The space it contains is the symbolic space from where I can reflect on my most intimate relationships. The physical weight and dimensions of the box while difficult are not prohibitive and here, move with me to a place that both literally and symbolically have been the center of great change.

Music from Virginal Coordinates by Eyvind Kang. “I am the dead.”

»‡«

“Glowbile” a construct
media: 3 deconstructed televisions, 3 or more DVD players, RCA connection cables, 1 set of television speakers for sound, 1 top of much used step ladder, copper or similar handle, nearby device remote controls, 3 DVDs, electricity
2007, 2008

No comments: