Tuesday, May 20, 2008

ravenous

“I had a dream, do you interpret them?”
“Yes.”
“Yes, as in you have this skill?”
“Yes.”
“Do you know what my name means?”
“Yes.”
“You know what Daniel means?”
“Yes. It means roughly, the Lord is my judge.”
“And what does that mean?”
Silence.
“And you interpret dreams?”
“Yes.”
“Can I tell you my dream?”
“Yes.”
“I stood on the edge of a Ravine in the mountains with company. I can’t tell you which company, the faces were soft and the memory of them even softer. This was in the big mountains, the ones that are heavily forested like those in the Northwest. The ravine was wide, maybe 100 yards. It was in the foothills of larger peaks and the travel was exhausting. On one side was a fire road and on the other largely impassable ground. I was on that side with my companions. The mood was light or at least not overly heavy. Shortly thereafter we were joined by a Marshall and a worker who traveled the fire road. They seemed to be surveying and we didn’t speak but were in company together. I moved across the ravine and although it was exhausting I moved fast and with strength. On my way back across to rejoin the others I spotted a black bear moving up the ravine from a long distance off. The bear gained unnatural speed and leaped up toward the group zigzagging her way. She attacked from the south end of a large granite boulder where my companions had gathered. Her teeth gripped my arm and locked down hard. I lost blood and movement and remained calm. The Marshall and my faceless companion looked on with odd calm, with the same calm of the bear, with my same calm. I awoke.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

George - "Farmer" One who walks with God, and the desert shall be glad for him.

I've walked with God and Without. He let's me find my own way. The desert has been glad for me, and glad for me not. For where the farmer brings life, he also brings death.

Let me be Daniel, so that I too may be judged by the Lord. Let Daniel be himself, for he is the survivor of death.