Thursday, June 7, 2007

pRosé

pRosé. As in p, (p[=e] p[=e]) v. The action of bladder release, actively urinating in real time. As in Rose, Peter Edward (Pete), Sr., disgraced antihero of American Major League Baseball and/or, Ro, as in /row/ n. A noisy, turbulent quarrel or disturbance, a brawl. é, as in ey [OE. Ei, ey] interj. An expression of inquiry or slight surprise and/or é, as in “Aaaay!”, Arthur Fonzarelli, the Fonz, high school drop out, reformed gang member, avid angler (in real time). pRosé

About a year ago I came across a homeless man while feeling joyous and happy about my work with the kids. I felt so good I was greeting every passerby with a fond and sincere "Good Morning!"; in love with the people, in love with my city, in love with life. I could have kissed everyone, bagged their groceries, scrubbed their kitchens, waxed their vehicles, pulled weeds from their gardens, popped their stubborn acne, washed their feet, and socks, emptied the contents of my wallet to prove it. I was in love that morning. I'd already had a number of pleasant exchanges on that stroll and as I approached this homeless man pushing his cart filled with cans of/for redemption on his way to the grocer to unload and get paid, I smiled huge and offered my fond and sincere "Good Morning!" Now he was struggling with that cart behind the weight of his booty and about a mile yet from the grocer and I believed wholly in my heart that our exchange and acknowledgment of each other on such a beautiful day would result in nothing other than mutual respect and shared dignity. His response, however, was a swift and decisive blow by closed fist to my upper torso. The blow was forceful and as full a strike as the man could deliver but still too weak to halt my progress. I attempted no response, continued forward on my stroll and failed that day to audibly greet another soul.

No comments: